What’s new for 2011?
Architects and anyone else in the construction industry should be aware that this month saw the release of the JCT Contracts 2011. The publications cover new payment legislation and amendments to the Housing Grants, Construction and Regeneration Act 1996 made by the Construction Act 2009. Other changes are reflected in these updated contracts (source: RIBA Bookshops):
- A revised Insolvency definition in the Termination section
- The revised Terrorism Cover provisions that were included in JCT’s December 2009 Update
- The provision for appointment of the principal contractor under CDM Regulations has been extended to cover that function under the Site Waste Management Plans Regulations 2008
- Statutory reference to the Bribery Act 2010
- Entries in respect of PI insurance relating to asbestos and fungal mould have been removed
- Revised retention provisions in the sub-contracts
Where to find the new contracts and help
The new edition can be obtained from RIBA Bookshops, and a complete set is available for reference on request in the British Architectural Library. The Library also holds guides on this area of architectural practice and a full range of past JCT contracts; check the online catalogue for details. The RIBA’s Information Centre can be contacted by members of the RIBA or the public to answer any questions they may have about the latest or past JCT contracts.